Program in Latin American Studies
Designed for students who are interested in learning first-hand about Latin America, the Program in Latin American Studies offers the possibility of choosing among a wide range of courses in different disciplines with a significant Latin American Studies content. In these classes, students explore various facets of Latin America’s culture, politics, and society.
Our courses are taught by Universidad de San Andrés faculty who are accomplished scholars and professionals with research agendas and experience teaching in foreign universities.
Intended for students at the intermediate Spanish-language level and above, our program complements classroom learning with periodic field trips and cultural activities that introduce students to diverse aspects of life and culture in Argentina. Several Social events such as meetings, parties and day trips are organized to encourage interaction between foreign and local students.
Many students also take the opportunity to visit some of Argentina’s most spectacular natural sites, such as Iguazú Falls in Misiones and the Perito Moreno Glacier in Patagonia, the world-famous wineries in Mendoza, or they go to the beautiful mountains at Bariloche for skiing, mountaineering, fishing and other outdoor sports.
The program curriculum seeks to enhance participants’ Spanish skills, expand their understanding of Latin America and Argentine culture, and provide students with a high-quality and, memorable study abroad experience.
Our program allows you to enroll directly in classes at the Universidad de San Andrés together with local students. Most of the courses are taught in Spanish by full-time faculty. Each semester, we also have a limited number of courses that are taught in English.
According to your interests, you can choose to focus on three different tracks:
(1) Latin American Literature, Arts and Culture
(2) Latin American Society and Politics
(3) Latin American Economics and Business
(4) Service Learning in Latin America
In addition, the program offers Spanish Language and Culture classes at different levels that are designed specifically for international students.
Areas of Study:
Undergraduate courses are offered in the following areas:
- Cinema Studies
- Law and Human Rights
- Art History
- Service Learning
Students generally take four courses a semester:
- Two courses within the student’s academic track.
- An elective in any academic discipline area.
- A Spanish language course (Intermediate or Advanced) which provides students the tools to quickly hone their language skills and get to know Argentinean culture. Students who pass out of the Intermediate or Advanced course may also take a course on academic writing skills designed for Spanish native speakers.
ga('create', 'UA-56139767-1', 'auto');